Ten days after she complained of a sore throat, Kristen died from MRSA. "I was there when she was born, and I was there when her heart stopped beating," Amanda says. "[I told] her how much I love her and how proud I was of her."
Kristen's father was so devastated by her death, he didn't attend the funeral. He did, however, write her a goodbye letter, which was read during the services. The letter says: "Daddy was unable to make it today because this was more than he could bear. ... I love you, baby girl."
Dr. Oz says MRSA is deadly because it burrows into the skin and gets into the bloodstream. "It poisons the blood," he says. "Then, it starts to destroy the lungs, which is what happened to that beautiful little girl."